Kitchen Under $45,000
Making Room for Kids
Designed by Peg Perren, Cabinet-S-Top, Medina, OH
Initial Budget: $38,000.
Final Cost: $42,000. The extra $4,000 stemmed from the client's decision to add to the project by replacing some windows and interior doors, adding lighting and having some work done in an adjacent half-bath.
- Update the home’s original 40-year-old kitchen.
- Improve efficiency of workspace.
- Remove soffits.
- Remove peninsula that divided room.
- Replace floor in kitchen and dining room.
- Incorporate desk.
- Remove soffits to allow for cabinets of varied heights and more open space.
- Widen doorway into formal dining room and remove half-wall into family room.
- Install new lighting.
- Fashion two-level island with place for children on one side and cooking area on the other.
- Incorporate custom valences on island, desk, hutch and shelf above large windows.
- Set off apple green walls and deep red accents with light maple cabinets.
Cabinets: Medallion Shaker-style maple cabinets with a natural stain. Accessories: Rollout shelves, trash pull-out, beadboard panels on hutch and island, lazy Susan, corbels, shelf valance, wine rack, plate rack, towel bar and plate shelves.
Range: Pro-style stainless steel slide-in Jenn-Air range with downdraft.
Countertops: Granite on the island's raised circular bartop; other countertops are Corian in Linen with a beveled edge.
Flooring: Pre-finished hardwood
Sink: Corian sink
Faucet: Moen pullout spray faucet
Lighting: Recessed lights, undercabinet lights
Windows: Andersen casement windows with Prairie-style grills